This job is no longer accepting applications.
This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan payment reimbursement program. You must meet specific individual eligibility requirements in accordance with VHA policy and submit your EDRP application within four months of appointment. Approval, award amount (up to $200,000) and eligibility period (one to five years) are determined by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services program office after complete review of the EDRP application. Learn more
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
The physician serves as a Primary Care Provider (PCP) at any Community Based Outpatient Clinic. The CBOC operates under a Patient Aligned Care Team Model. Together with his or her teamlet, comprised of a PCP, RN, LVN, and a Clerk, the PCP cares for a panel of approximately 1,000 patients. The PCP provides primary care services in a team-based setting, including chronic disease management and preventive health. Common diagnoses encountered include diabetes, hypertension, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, degenerative arthritis, depression, congestive heart failure, and chronic pain.The physician evaluates, diagnoses, treats, and provides consultation for non-surgical adult patients of all ages, without life-threatening complications and with a wide variety of diseases, injuries, and disorders. He or she assesses, stabilizes, and determines disposition of patients with emergent conditions consistent with medical staff policy regarding emergency and consultative call services. The physician may collaborate with /oversee mid-level providers such as nurse practitioners and works collaboratively with other specialties (and subspecialties) in and outside of the VA system to manage or co-manage patients' health. Select mental health and subspecialty services are available on-site. Other mental health, medical and surgical subspecialties services are available through consult to the San Francisco VA Health Care System or to the community.
Job family (Series)
- 0602 Medical Officer
- Physicians, All Other
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- Basic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
- Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
- Physical Requirements: Applicants must meet physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to placement is required. This is a designated drug testing position. After appointment, you will be subject to random testing for illegal drug use. Requires lifting 15-44 pounds; pushing (approx. 2 hours); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers and both hands; walking and standing from 3-5 hours and kneeling. Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously. Must have depth perception and ability to distinguish basic colors and shades of colors. Hearing aid is permitted.
- Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
- VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA Physician Brochure.
- Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of eight (8) hours per biweekly pay period.
- This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
- It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
- This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
- VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
- Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
- If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
- You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
- IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
- NOTE: A formal pay-setting process will be used to determine your salary. The salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
- Not Required
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
- Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
- Required Documents
- To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
- The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (Schedule A)
- Disability Letter (VA)
- Other (1)
- PCS Orders
- Professional Certification
- Proof of Enrollment
- Proof of Marriage Status
- Separation Notice (RIF)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
- Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
- A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
- Review our benefits
- Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
- U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Your application has been successfully submitted.